Monday, October 11, 2010

Catering Weekend

I have just gone through a total catering weekend. This is where I worked three events starting on Friday through Saturday and also on Sunday. This is a stark contrast to the days when I spend all weekend every weekend on my feet in the restaurant. It might seem to you like 14 years working as a chef would have made it possible for me to be able to do three days in a row standing on my head.

Truth be told, I should be able to do three days in a row easily, but I am two years removed from my chef career. Being a full time freelance writer has added about 50 pounds to my frame and reduced my physical activity down to just about zero. When I do have to work long nights on feet now, it is quite painful on my knees and on my feet.

So, why do I do it? I say it is for beer money, but in actuality it is because my heart is in the restaurant industry. Ever since I was in high school I dreamed of opening my own restaurant. I even have the name picked out. I have worked just about every position there is to work in a restaurant other than head chef, bar manager, front of house manager and restaurant manager. The highest I got in the kitchen was to be a sous chef.

I would be remiss if I turned my back on the industry altogether even for a little while. Besides, the days I get out there and unload the trucks to set up my bar in some millionaire's back yard is about the only exercise I get other than walking my dog. My 50 pound gain might be a 100 pound gain if not for the long nights with the catering company.

So, while I was worn down by the weekend, I was happy to have had the work. I have already put in my schedule request for next week which reads, bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment